call

+234 8064412924





Monday 29 August 2016

the professor's bond


the professor's bond




“Your mark, one hundred and fifty, is below the pass mark, a woeful failure. And you stood bold, hands in pockets, blazing stares into my eyes. And threatening me with stale words for admission. How dare you? How dare you? 
Stand there until your waist bow...until you freeze...until your stares set you ablaze...until your evil spells become your chains and lake of fire...."
Then there was a intense silence.

"Leave me alone, I will never commit this crime," he began again.
"I will keep my honor. I’d worn your age of teens, failed my tests with dignity. But never was I like you, filthy decadent recalcitrant. Stand there...where I never stood, like a beggar with dirty bowl."
Then there another round of sullen silence. 
Ike did not move an inch nor said a word. His face was thick-skinned, remorseless, and pitiless. Prof Ogefi, was sweating  like mad. From the look of things, he had been the master of ceremony, the chairman of occasion and the guest as well. Briskly, he adjusted his ties, went round his table...walked up to him.
"What is your problem," he asked, grinning.
Ike slanted his shoulders, and plunged his hands into the pockets of the shabby baggy trousers he was wearing. He knew his ranting won’t stand for long. He knew the professor would come to terms with the reality of life, the life he had created for himself and other people. Everything he had, he had borrowed. He knew him more than Ogefi knew himself.
“Mom sends her greetings,” he said in a low sweet voice.
Prof Ogefi dabbed his sweating brow. And began to smile a little. This boy knows everything…, he thought. He knows about his job...and the goings-on. He knows about his last court case on rape. He knows about his wife…how she got that job. Soon, Oda his son will be looking for a job as well. What will happen to the promises…but what else does he know?

He laughed, and grabbed Ike by the shoulders.
“This bad boy…. What does your mother want this time? She should have called me on the phone. And everything will be resolved,” he said in a crashing chuckle, plucking his nose.
Then the lanky boy exhumed a piece of oil-stained paper from his pocket, and gave the professor. And staggered out of the office.
Immediately he opened the letter, and read….
Goodmorning, Sir. I sent a letter to your mail this morning.Please, it is urgent.

Mrs Oya.
Prof hurried to his PC, and touched a button, it opened. It had come two hours ago.… 
Zhi, my love, my darling. How is your day? I sent our boy to you. You see…he is your carbon copy. Do whatever it takes to fulfill his dreams…to fulfill our dreams. He has a low score… nevertheless give him admission into the school of medicine and surgery. Whatever it takes to make it happen let me know. This boy is in cult. I have told him about our relationship. I had to open up to him when I found out he has been on our tails all these while. He has been stalking us. He knows everything. He has been watching us... he has the details of our lives in all media. Right now, my fate hangs in a balance. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what my husband will do. Surely hell will break loose…. And my job...my
fellow judges….
Prof Ogefi closed his eyes for a moment...in shock. When he opened it, the walls and the floors were spinning and shifting. Breathless, he grasped the table, drenched in sweat...
I will not live to face this scandal…a seventeen year-old boy, Her Lordship of the supreme court…and  I, Prof Zhint Ogefi....What will my wife say...what will my children... and my friends...?
"No...no...no," he screamed.








































No comments: