call

+234 8064412924





Monday 18 September 2017

Madam Minister( Part 12 )


                           Inspector Doris Agee Knocks at Door

“That will be nice,” she said, smiled at him and rubbed his shirt sleeve. They walked down the corridor in silence. Then she went down stairs, and he went into the morgue supervisor’s office. 




Dr. Monteseri came back home tired and drained.  The children were having late lunch. He waved at them from a distance . Nene shouted, “Dad.” He waved again, and scurried into the laundry room, pulled off his clothes, tied a towel and dashed into a bathroom. The shower was cold. He allowed it pour for a long time. Then he shut it off. He was cold; he was weeping.  He dried his eyes, and hurried through the back corridor. He could hear the chatter of children drifting in the air and the clatter of plates. He hurdled the stairs, and raced into his room. Then threw himself on the bed, and started another round of weeping. 

Then there was some clangs at the gate. He moved close to the window. Shifted the drapes, and peeped. Ndi had crossed the gate and was heading toward the portico. A car had horned, and zoomed away.
They have brought the battle to my gates…to my bedroom, he thought, and shook his head. What will I do? Oh! In a time like this, you stood for me. I miss you, Kate!
He heard light footsteps on the stairs, then clanking of keys on red door further down the corridor, and a gentle whoosh.
A wrong choosing…at last lonely…depraved. What am I going do?
He wiped his eyes, wore his clothes and went downstairs.

She came looking for me. So what! We talked, she went out and had an accident…suicide maybe, she thought. How on earth would I know the plans she had… She almost ruined my outing…silly.
There was a knock on the door. Ekaite came in, carrying her lunch.
“What is at lunch,” she asked.
“Wheat with egusi soup, Ma.”
Thank you, Ekaite. I am okay. Dinner will do.”
“Yes Ma.”
“Ekaite”
“Yes Ma.”
“Please fetch a bottle of wine, any brand will do.”
“Madam, Doctor is downstairs.”
“Don’t worry. I will take it myself.”
Ekaite took back the meal. Ndi changed into a loose flowery gown and soft footwear. And went down to the bar. She grabbed a bottle of Californian wine. On her way out, she stepped on Dr. Monteseri's foot. 
“What is the meaning of this,” he hollered.
“Oh! I’m sorry. I didn’t see you.”
“And you didn’t see Kate as well.”
She jumped off, bewildered.
“What do you want this time? When did I become Kate’s chaperon. Please I have important things to do upstairs.” she said, and was walking off.
“Stop there, Ndi! I have not done with you,” he hollered again.
Ndi stopped on her track. And turned, ogling at him. Then she looked at the clock on the wall, and sighed.
“Kate went out in the morning, looking for you. She has not come home since then,” he said in a low voice. The children were next room, overhearing. 
“Please I am tired now,” she said in a high voice. “I don’t have the time for this grilling. In case you’ve forgotten or become a grownup moron, she is an adult, a mother, and was someone else’s wife. Allow me to be,” she gasped. Then hurried upstairs.
Dr Monteseri rose from the chair to follow her. But then thought otherwise, and sat back heavily in defeat. His body was itching; his hands were shaking. He held on, breathing slowly until the shaking waned. 

Then Chatie came in with Chidi. She sat on his lap. Chidi went for the floor.
“Where is your sister,” he asked, smiling at her.
“Upstairs, with mom.”
He turned to Chidi.
“How are you today?”
“I am fine Uncle Soso.”
“Dad,” said Chatie.
Dr Monteseri looked at her.
“Yes my girl.”
“We heard everything you discussed with Mom.”
“Really!”
“Yes we did,” she said, looking at Chidi.
Chidi nodded his head in confirmation.
Then there were jangling at gates.
“Excuse me, children. Let me get the gates.”
Chatie came down. He went to the windows, peered through the long light drapes. The gates were wide open. A convoy of police cars lined up. He went close to the windows. An inspector of police was marching in. Then thuds on the door. He opened it. Inspector Doris Agee smiled at him.
“Good evening, Doctor.”
“Inspector, we meet again. I thought I asked for some rest,” he said, sliding the door wider.
“Yes I gave you two working days.”
He shrugged his shoulders.
“I’m looking for the Madam Minister, Mrs Monteseri.”
“She is my wife. Is something wrong? Are you her friend?”
Not really. I have few questions for her regarding the accident that happened this morning.”
He sent the children away with a wave of hand.
“But…but they did not meet,” he stammered, , thrown off, pointing at a bar chair. 
“Ekaite… Ekaite!”
She came running.
“Please tell Ndi Inspector Agee is waiting for her.
“Yes, Sir,” she said.
Then her footsteps hurried on the stairs.

“Nice to hear from you, Pastor.”
“Thank you, Madam. Would this coming Thanksgiving Service Day do?”
“I will think about it.”
“Thank you, Madam. Should I send a reminder?”
“Yes Pastor. Please do.”
“I am grateful, Ma.”
A knock came on the door. She cut off immediately. Ekaite came in.
“Ekaite, I need manicure,” she said. She wore shorts, a bra, and was sitting on a divan. Her two legs put up by pillows were gently buffeting each other. Magazines, phones and makeups strewed on the floor. Nene was lying on her bed, a giant doll pander sleeping on her tummy.
 “Madam,  you have a visitor.”
“Who is that…?”
“A policewoman, madam.”
“Where is she?”
“In the bar, Madam.
That woman, Doris! Why has she come here? What is she discussing with this man! Has she come to ruin my home as well, she wondered. And got up immediately, got into a long flowing gown.

Dr. Monteseri had not spoken to the inspector since Ekaite went upstairs. His facing down, staring at the floor, wondering where Ndi matched in this issue. What information has this woman? No, I won’t preempt her.
Then he heard the noise of slippers on the stairs. And Ndi came in. Her fragrance was mellow. It filled the room. 
Her beauty is dazzling and sensational. But a heart of stone, rhythms of confusion, infidelity and intimidation trails her like flies, he thought. 
 “Good evening Madam. What a lovely home,” Doris said, standing. They shook hands.
“Thank you. What a surprise! You followed me home.”
“Yes, Ma. I am visiting you this early because of the turn of events,” she said, smiling.
Madam Minister kept an uncompromising stare. Then they sat down opposite each other.
“Kate died few hours ago. You were the last person she spoke with.”
Her stare was stanch. Dr Monteseri head bent forward to comprehend the issue at stake, his brow sweating. He crossed his legs, his fingers drumming the arm of the chair.
“I want to know what you discussed with her.”
“I’m sorry I have no information now. My attorney will get back to you.”
“She had a fight with you. Did she?”
“Please see my attorney.”
“Madam, someone pushed her into the traffic,” she said, looking at Doctor Monteseri.
There was quiet. Fingers stopped beating. Inspector Doris removed her hat, and capped her knees. Then turned, staring at Madam Minister.
“Someone pushed her into the moving truck. Madam did you send anybody to her.”
“Please I need some rest. And if you don’t mind, leave my house now. Now!”
“She is not going anywhere! You should leave my house. We are through with this mess called marriage,” he bawled.
Madam Minister laughed for a long time.
I should leave the house! what I built! You are a joker. You are a clown! I am asking you to leave,” she shouted at him.
“Please Ma. I will like to see your attorney in court for the urgent resolve of this affair . Here is a court order,” said Doris. She dug a hand into a side pocket. And gave her a doubled over paper. Madam Minister sighed, took it, and walked away.
“I didn’t know both of you are married. I am sorry for the troubles I caused you.”
He forced a smile, shrugged his shoulders.
Please don’t take her seriously. Women often overshoot their tongues,” she said.
“I don’t agree with you. Hers is different. You are sure she is involved.”
The inspector nodded her head.
“Yes she drove Kate to commit suicide. It is against the law.”
Dr. Monteseri thought for a long time.
“Did she touch her? Did she fight her?”
“Yes she did. We have the manager of the restaurant and a customer as witnesses.”
“Would their actions in there make her responsible for her death outside?”
“Of course, I have sufficient evidence to indict her in court.”
“Please I need to know exactly what happened. Did she send someone to her?"
Not now Dr. Monteseri. It’s on going investigation. But the little I had sniffed shows she was the one who pushed her into the crash.”
Dr. Monteseri was baffled. He wanted to ask more pressing questions. But swallowed the spit.
She stood up and started walking to the door. He stood, and followed her to the door.
“Please call me anytime for clarity. And remember you have children. Madam and you should guard your utterances.”
“Thanks, I will do that.”
“Does Kate have children?”
“Yes, a child. The boy you greeted.”
“Oh! I am very sorry.”
He shuddered.
“Have you said anything to him?”
“No, I will do it now.”
“Where does she live?”
8, Ako Road, West Estate.”
“I know that vicinity.  Any husband?”
“Died sometime ago.”
“Oh! I know that already. Please get in touch.”
“Thanks I will.”
He opened the sliding door. She walked through it toward gate.






 

No comments: