call

+234 8064412924





Tuesday 8 August 2017

Madam Minister Part 10

At the accident scene


Kate got outside the shopping mall. Traffic was  heavy at fast speed, reckless, blaring horns, swearing at one another. She stood on the pavement for a long time, confused on what to do next. Clammy, sweaty, yet she was feeling cold.
…killed my husband... maimed my child?  How could I have done it! …when! … No, I did not. He was sick. I did everything to help him…but lost him. Then Chidi was born lame. It was not  my fault. Why does she mock me! …why!
She stepped out. A fast moving truck hit her. She flew off. And crashed on a pole. Then landed on the road. as the truck screeched to a halt. 

She lay still. Her gashed head, bleeding. Her  belongings strewn on the road. A policewoman ran across the road and picked up some of her things.
She saw some phone numbers and began dialing them. Someone from the crowd came down, kneeling beside Kate. He began first aiding, reduced blood very much, and called an ambulance. 
The truck in the middle of the road was causing a huge hold up. The driver was  restless, and quite confused. His friends, the union members had arrived.  And cluttered the road with their trucks, in solidarity with  him.
Then  the siren of an approaching vehicle became louder. It arrived the scene.  Paramedics  ran to the victim. They put her on  a stretcher. One of them spoke with the police for a moment. Then they into the van, and sped off.
Hello,  Dr  Soso Monteseri!”
“Who is this, please?”
“I am Inspector Doris Agee.”
“Yes!”
“Do you know a lady called Kate? She wore a lavender gown, hat and shoes.”
“Yes, she is my sister.”
“ She had an accident.  She is at  ER, 44 Military Hospital. I have her things  with me.  Please  I will like to talk with you.”
There was a  scuttling, then a muffled shout,
“What!”
She cut the call. Then looked at the pink paper in her hands, reading the message on it repeatedly. The  address was familiar. She looked around and saw the sign board.
                                     Sprite Shopping Mall
Then she crossed the road and walked toward it.  Why would a well-to-do, well dressed woman, a young lady in her prime, walk into a fast moving heavy truck, crushed.  This is unthinkable, she wondered, and looked at her watch. It was just 8:05 a.m. 
She shook her head, and walked into the mall. There were few people around. She dialed the number on the paper.
“Hello!”
It was a man’s voice., a foreign accent, She thought.
“Good morning, Sir. I am Inspector Doris from the Fifth Precinct.”
She walk round briskly searching for the man receiving her call. She barged into the First restaurant, no one was with  phone. She ran into the  second restaurant . He was there. A Caucasian. She looked at her watch again. It was 8:10 a.m.
“May I speak with you briefly,” she said waving at him.
 “Sorry, I’ m having  my breakfast with someone. I will speak with you later.”
She cut the phone and walked up to the table.
“Good morning, Sir. I sorry to bother you.”
Andrew was visibly annoyed. Madam Minister kept sipping tea, her  eyes lashes fluttering  at the inspector, flitting from head to toes.
The inspector thought of the pink paper.
Supposing Mr. White owned the phone that rang. Supposing the paper belong to this woman sitting with him. And might be, the victim trail them with this information  to this  place…. Why?
“Yes Doris,”  asked Andrew.
“I have few questions for Madam, Sir. Please may  I  sit down.”
He waved  at a server . She brought additional  seat.
“Madam, Kate visited you here an hour ago. She had an accident soon after.  Right now, she is  in critical condition. What happened  between you? Is she your friend,” she asked  sitting down.
Madam Minister was  smiling .  Andrew was rubbing her hand, a smile on his face too. 
“Doris, we are sorry . We can’t  help you with the investigation  now.  Please bear with us,” said Andrew.
Inspector Doris knew she had  no arrest or search permit.  For now,  I have identified who she was with before she had the accident.
“ I’m sorry to disrupt your breakfast.“
Then the short man in suit  came up to their table.
“Madam Minister, thank you very much. I’m on my way.  My regards to your sister.”
“Oh, thank you too. Have a lovely day, Sir.”
Then he left. Inspector Doris had began sweating. She removed her cap. Suddenly she had recognized the woman sitting with  her. A minister!
“Oh, Madam Minister, I’m sorry to bother you. Please have a pleasant day,” she said. 
“It’s okay,” said Andrew. Call us if you need any help .”
She stood up and walked toward the door. They watched her leave the restaurant.

“Hmm, your sister in-law had an accident.”
“I knew it will come sooner than later. She is just an edgy woman. She does not mind her own business. I warned her but she wouldn’t listen. A broken bone is what she needed to calm down. Idiot.”
“Oh darling, it is unfair. She is human too,” he said, holding her hand firmly.
“Oh no! She is not . She‘s demon. But she has fallen. Her mission had failed.”
Andrew smiled at her. He took a table knife, spread strawberry jam on a slice of bread. He strewn some streaks.  He cut the bread into four portions., and began to  eat.  Madam Minister  took up her spoon to finish the snail soup.  But it had become cold. She pushed the plate away. And picked up her glass of wine. She shook the glass, the red wine foamed, swirled in the glass. Smiling she gulped it.




No comments: