call

+234 8064412924





Saturday 17 September 2016

the professor's bond (part 2)



 the professor's bond (part two)





He banged the door of his Romeo Jeep. And gripped the steering wheel. Then he hit it twice with both hands.
“Oh my God,” he swore, dropping his head on the steering wheel. Will I ever come out of this mess, he thought. Why did Lora do this to me? No, it cannot be true.
“Oh! My God,” he swore again.
Then he put a call to her.
“Please, can we meet at Johnsons.”
“Now…,” she asked.
“Yes, my dear.”
No, Zhi. I’m at the my chambers. Come, we talk here.”
“I’m on my way.”
“Okay, Zhi”

He joined the Macaulay Boulevard holdup. Later, Nyerere Way, and came to the double lane behind British Council. He swerved into a park lot. Then he took the elevator to her lordship’s private office.

She embraced him.
“Sit down, darling. I have good Chinese tea.”
He sat on a sofa, staring at a picture on the wall. It was a family photo. Her lordship, a huge man, and a teen were in there.
Then he sighed.
She brought the tea and cracker biscuits.
“Do you mind some milk and ginger?”
“Thank you. Black will do.”
She filled up their teacups.
“What are we going to do,” he asked in a low voice, lifting the tea.
She removed her gown, sat down, and crossed her legs.
“I had a stormy day. I’m not thinking right, now.”
He took her hands.
“Our job, our careers, our friends, your husband, my wife, and my children are about to explode. What should we do?”
She said nothing. And took her ginger tea.
He grinned.
“We are in trouble, Lora. We are about sinking.”
“We are not,” she said, smiling.
He grinned again at her.
“Ask for divorce,”she whispered.
His hands shook. He choked and coughed.
“What!”
“You heard me,” said Lora, smiling.
Prof Zhint Ogefi was visibly uncomfortable. He crossed his restless legs. His hands twitching, could hardly carry the teacup.
I can’t divorce Sim. I will never do that in a lifetime. She has wonderful children with me.”
The chief judge stood up, and walked away. As she dropped the teacup on a table, she turned facing him.
“I have a child with you too,” she shouted in shaky voice.
I know that, Lora. But you are married. You cannot in a blink of an eye turn your back on your husband. He has done nothing wrong. We should find another way.”
She stood at a spot looking at the blank wall, tears running down her face.
He stood up, walked to her, and held her hands.
She took away her hands. And then went back to sofa.
“I’m listening. What do you suggest,” she asked.
He went forward, knelt down, and held her hands again.
“Let one of should go.”
“What do you mean,” she screamed,
“The social media…our families…our employers and our friends are out there waiting for this news to burst. We can’t let it happen.”
She stood up and walked to the table.
I am not with you anymore. I won’t take that.”
Then Prof Ogefi followed her. He held her hands again, patted and kissed them.
“Ike has everything he needs to boil us alive. He should go for it. Let him go.”
“Don’t ever call my boy’s name. Leave him out of this,” she said.
He patted her hand again. And kissed them.
“Then your husband should go for it.”
She turned, facing the wall.
“I don’t know really.”
“I will meet you at Johnsons,” he said.
She nodded her head.
“Tomorrow, 5 p.m”
She nodded her head again.
“I love you, Lora.”
She turned, and held him.
“I love you too, she whispered.”
There were Knocks on the door. He let go of her and sat down.
The door swung open. Chief Midas Oya walked in, followed by Ike.

No comments: